Purpose of the Promotion Committee
The job of the Promotions Committee is to promote the City of Commerce as the center of business, culture and community life for residents and visitors alike through marketing, business promotions, tourism campaigns, website and social media, city brochures as well as brand campaigns. To go beyond the traditional sense of downtown promotions, the committee must develop a broader range of strategies by:
- Understanding the changing market - both potential shoppers and your "competition"
- Identifying downtown assets, including people, buildings, heritage, and institutions
- Defining Main Street's market niche- it's unique "position" in the marketplace.
- Creating new image campaigns, retail promotions, brochures, etc.
The Promotion Committee's responsibilities specifically include the following:
- Direct retail promotions, traffic-building activity and image improvements for the downtown
- Assume primary responsibility for defining the marketable image of the downtown and ensure continuity of that image in all downtown promotional programs
- Monitor community and consumer perceptions of the downtown and seek to reverse negative attitudes and build on positive ones
- Allocate funds for promotional activities in accordance with the Main Street program's annual work plan and budget.
- Work toward building new sources of funding for a portion of the program's total annual budget
- Monitor the effectiveness of promotional programs on an ongoing basis
- Build strong network of volunteers to help implement promotional programs and establish good working relationships with community organizations, charities, school clubs and other groups that might participate in promotional activities
- Work to ensure a consistent, high-quality image in signs, advertisements and other graphic material associated with the Main Street program
- Establish a sound working relationship with local and regional media.
The Promotion Committee works with the City of Commerce, the Main Street Manager, the county Tourism office, local businesses, and property owners to facilitate a positive "image" of the Downtown Business District that will help retain, promote, and attract Downtown business. The Promotion Committee will attract visitors and residents to the district and encourage them to spend money and time in our Main Street community by selling the DCMS brand through advertising, brochures, in-store collaborative promotions, direct marketing, newsletters, website, and press releases. The Promotion Committee will develop a long term marketing plan. If you would like more information or to join this committee please contact Natalie Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org
Historic Walking Tour
Take a self guided tour of historical Commerce.